Boston Scientific Corporation (NYSE: BTX) – market cap as of 27/11/2018: USD 48.57bn Introduction On November 20, 2018, Boston Scientific, a company operating as a provider of innovative medical solutions, successfully reached an agreement to acquire BTG plc, the UK developer and distributor of tools employed in the treatment of cancer and other vascular diseases,
Athenahealth (NASDAQ: ATHN) – market cap as of 11/22/2018: $5.36bn Introduction On the 12th of November 2018, private equity firm Veritas Capital and hedge fund Elliot Management announced their plan to buy Athenahealth Inc. for $5.7bn in an all-cash deal. The deal values Athenahealth at $135 per share, thus offering a 12.2% premium compared to
Novartis AG (SIX: NOVN) – market cap as of 20/04/2018: CHF204.12bn AveXis Inc (NASDAQ: AVXS) – market cap as of 20/04/2018: $7.62bn Introduction On April 9, Novartis submitted an offer to acquire all the shares of the American gene therapy group AveXis. The Swiss drugmaker offered an 88% premium adding up to an $8.7bn deal.
Siemens AG (ETR: SIE) – market cap as of 06/04/2018: €88.8bn Siemens Healthineers AG (ETR: SHL) – market cap as of 06/04/2018: €33.9bn Introduction On March 16, 2018, the German conglomerate Siemens performed an initial public offering of its principal and second most profitable division, Healthineers, on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. The floatation was one
CIGNA Corporation (NYSE:CI) – market cap as of 09/03/2018: $42.7bn Express Scripts Holding Co (NASDAQ:ESRX) – market cap as of 09/03/2018: $45.7bn Introduction On March 8, 2018, Cigna Corporation announced the acquisition of Express Scripts Holding for a cash and stock consideration of $67bn. The combination of Cigna – a health insurance firm – and
Rite Aid (NYSE:RAD) – market cap as of 23/02/2018: $2.22bn Introduction On the 20th February, Rite Aid Corporation, one of the leading US drugstore chains, entered into a definitive merger agreement with Albertsons Companies, one of the largest American private equity-backed grocery retailers. The deal will result in the creation of a company with a combined enterprise
Novartis AG (NYSE:NVS) – market cap as of 04/11/2017: $219bn Advanced Accelerator Applications SA (NASDAQ:AAAP) – market cap as of 04/11/2017: $3.56bn Introduction On October 30, 2017, Novartis announced its intention to make a tender offer for 100% of the share capital of Advanced Accelerator Applications, for a total consideration of $3.9bn. AAA’s key product,
Impax Laboratories, Inc. (IPXL:NASDAQ) – market cap as of 27/10/2017: $1.40bn Introduction On October 17, 2017, Amneal Pharmaceuticals and Impax Laboratories announced that they will merge in an all-stock transaction. Amneal will hold c. 75% of the combined entity, whereas Impax shareholders will own the remaining stake (c. 25%). These companies have been successful players
Kite Pharma (NASDAQ:KITE) – Market cap as of 23/09/2017: $10.28bn Gilead Sciences (NASDAQ:GILD) – Market cap as of 23/09/2017: $108.74bn Introduction On August 28, 2017, Gilead Sciences, Inc. and Kite Pharma, Inc. announced that the companies have entered into a definitive agreement pursuant to which Gilead will acquire Kite for $180 per share in cash.
Stada Arzneimittel AG (FWB: SAZ) – market cap as of 21/04/2017: €4.02bn Intel Cinven Partners LLP – private company – AUM as of FY 2015: €10.60bn Bain Capital Private Equity, LP – private company – AUM as of 04/04/2017: $32.40bn Introduction On April 10, 2017, Bain Capital Private Equity, LP (“Bain Capital PE”) and Cinven
The Blackstone Group LP (NYSE: BX) – market cap as of 11/11/2016: $28.95bn TeamHealth Holdings (NYSE: TMH) – market cap as of 11/11/2016: $3.07bn Introduction On the 31st of October 2016 Team Health Holdings Inc. announced that the company has reached an agreement to be acquired by a group of investors led by Blackstone Group
Mylan N.V.; market cap as of 12/02/2016: $20.54bn Meda AB; market cap as of 12/02/2016: kr52.44bn ($6.24bn) Introduction On February 10, Mylan NV (NASDAQ: MYL.O) announced its acquisition of Meda AB (STO: MEDAa.ST) in a deal worth $7.2bn made of cash and stock, while the latter reported an unexpected slowdown in growth in the fourth
Pfizer Inc.; market cap as of 27/11/2015: $202.7bn Allergan plc; market cap as of 27/11/2015: $126bn Introduction On November 23, 2015, Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) announced that their boards of directors have unanimously approved a definitive merger agreement under which Pfizer will combine with Allergan in a stock transaction
Shire PLC; market cap: $28.38bn (as of 06/11/2015) Dyax Corporation; market cap: $5.1bn (as of 06/11/2015) Introduction On November 2, Dublin-headquartered pharmaceutical company Shire Plc agreed to acquire the Massachusetts-based biopharma company Dyax Corporation for an upfront cash consideration of $5.9bn and an additional $646m payment contingent on the approval by U.S. regulators (FDA)